After the area was parcelled out, the building society Wiener Baugesellschaft under architect-in-chief Karl Theodor Bach had a neo-baroque residential house built on Garelligasse 3. Today, it houses offices and flats.
Flats, offices and business areas
Area available for letting: approx. 2,200 m²
- Flats: 7
- Offices: 6
- Retail areas: 1
This Alsergrund street was named after Pius Nikolaus Garelli (1675-1739). As son and grandson of imperial private physicians - his father was named Dean of the Medical Faculty in 1715 - he studied books and papers in the Emperor's employ. Under Emperor Karl, he was appointed prefect of the court library in 1723. He also participated in the expansion and cataloguing of the Imperial Library (today's National Library) built by Fischer von Erlach.
From 1644 onwards, the plot was occupied by a large tenement house. In the 18th century, the so-called "Red House", then owned by the Esterházys, accommodated a riding school and the first modern circus in Vienna. The building complex with its striking colour was finally rebuilt and expanded in 1802. One of the many tenants who moved in and out of this two-storied edifice with four courtyards, 20 staircases and 150 apartments was Beethoven.
After the area was parcelled out, the building society Wiener Baugesellschaft under architect-in-chief Karl Theodor Bach had a neo-baroque residential house built on Garelligasse 3. In 1923, the house was taken over by the IG parent company, the Austrian National Bank. The neighbouring buildings mirror Vienna's historic development, e.g. the Votive Church in the middle of a nearby park, the Leopold Bauer building, which houses the National Bank on Otto-Wagner-Platz or the University of Vienna on the ring road. In 2005, the roof of this noble old building on Garelligasse was converted into three modern, two-storied maisonettes, fittingly christened "sky gallery". Thanks to its prominent location at the heart of Vienna, the building is predestined to house offices and flats. The public transport connection is excellent (underground station and tram stop at junction "Schottentor").