1030 Vienna, Petrusgasse 1
Usable floor space: 1,090 m²
Lettable area: 655 m²
Parking spaces: 6
The dual guardian angels of the Erdberg Church of St. Peter and St. Paul in the 3rd district lend their names to both Petrusgasse and Paulusgasse. Although they had already been settled in Roman times, the tracts here served predominantly as crop fields and vineyards. Only in 1808 did Johann Konrad Rosenthal acquire the acreage. This decorative and commercial gardener is considered to be the inventor of the first Viennese tree nursery.
The single-floor residential house at Petrusgasse 1 was replaced in 1927 by the architect Franz Gessner with a four-storey residential and office building, including an assembly shop. He often worked here in tandem with his brother Hubert. As a fellow student of Adolf Loos and as Otto Wagner's student, the latter was considered to be a creator of the residential construction and sober utilitarian building typical of the 1920s.
The client which ordered the erection of the building was the motor factory of Jakob Warchalowski. The building was supposed to expand the works lying diagonally across from it. To this day one can still admire Warchalowski's pioneering inventions in the aviation field at the Technical Museum. Using his "Autobiplane Machine" Jakob's son Adolf flew his legendary flight of homage on occasion of Emperor Franz Joseph's 80th birthday.
Quite nearby is also situated another of Vienna's "lungs." The Viennese Prater is the ideal venue for manifold recreational pastimes at any season. Subway and bus stops are located in the immediate vicinity, and Landstrasser Hauptstrasse furnishes immense advantages for local amenities.